.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Chapter 45: Desert Dangers

"Ash, how much longer is this travelling going to be?" Rainbow asked. The Bending Tower had started off again, and Rainbow asked Ash about the travelling because she was worried about her kits; they had never been through anything like this and could be in danger since it was the desert they were in.
"I'm not sure, Rainbow," Ash replied, "I've never been to the Earth Kingdom before..."
"Where did you live when you were a loner?" Streak asked, bounding up to him.
"You know about that?" Ash said to Streak. He never recalled telling Streak that.
"Of course I do," Streak nodded, "everyone knows you were a loner!"
"But he's not now. He's a good leader," Rainbow pointed out.
"Go ahead back to your spots. Rainbow, if I find out how much longer this'll be, I'll tell you," Ash nodded.
Rainbow and Streak both resumed their spots back in the group. Ash looked ahead at the horizon. Still no sign of life. Ash then couldn't help remembering the nightmare he had had. Ironfang knew his past...Leafclaw and Hazen did, too. Hazen! Ash thought. Since Hazen was good now, maybe he could tell Ash about his past...Ash felt excited at the thought of it.
"Hey, Rusty?" Ash turned to his friend.
"Yes?" Rusty said.
"Can you go get Hazen for me?"
"Why?" Rusty question.
"Nothing. Just a quick thing I have to ask him," Ash responded.
Ash expected Rusty to look suspicious, but much to Ash's relief, Rusty simply just nodded and trotted off. Ash watched Rusty go, and it didn't take a while before Rusty came back to Ash, Hazen padding along beside Rusty. Hazen walked up to Ash. "Whatcha need?"
"Um..." Ash's voice dropped to a murmur. "Hey...you know my past, right? Can you tell me it?"
Hazen opened his mouth to respond, then closed it nervously. He hesitated. Ash tilted his head slightly. "Um, Ash...I can't tell you. Sorry."
"What?" Ash said, "Why can't you? I mean, we're brothers, we both have the same past."
"One, not exactly. And two, I'm not allowed to tell you," Hazen muttered.
"Not allowed to tell me?" Ash echoed, "but you're not at the Fire Nation anymore."
"A tree holds the answers, Ash! I'm not a tree!" Hazen blurted out.
For a while, the two just stood there in silence, looking at each other.
"How'd you learn about that?" Ash finally spoke.
"Um...Dad told me it?" Hazen suggested.
Dad. "What, did he tell you not to tell me?" Ash guessed.
"Yeah..." Hazen murmured. "Sorry, Ash, but I gotta listen to dad."
"Do you know what the tree is?" Ash asked him.
"No," Hazen replied. "But I know for sure it isn't me."
Ash sighed. "Okay then...thanks anyway," he muttered.
Suddenly, a strong breeze swept through the area. Most animals sighed relief because it was really hot. Bits of sand flew into Ash's pelt, but he didn't really mind. The breeze felt good; it was already burning hot from the sun.
"This feels good!" Streak mewed.
Ash scanned the area. It was all flat land, not a single hill anywhere. Ash then looked at the horizon and his stomach jumped. He squinted his eyes to see better. Ash then grew wide-eyed as he realized what it was that was coming in their direction.
A big, huge, sandy cloud.
"SANDSTORM!" yowled out Nightgale.

Author's Note:
Had to do a bit of sandstorm research; it said that sandstorms occur in areas with flat land, and it has to be really dry and that there needs to be very strong winds. So...yeah.
Actually, my brother (the creator of Ironfang) gave me the idea of a sandstorm. :3
Be sure to check my new story blog, by the way.
Sorry the chapter is short-ish. D: I'm going to try and post tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Oh noes, sandstorm! Everyone, get down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bending tower: feels good
    Nightgale: SANDSTORM!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandstorm?! D: Shield your eyes!
    ~Leafy

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIKES D:

    i hate it when I get sand in my eyes. -.-

    ReplyDelete
  5. **deep breathing**darth vadar voice**

    ASH!!! I AM THE TREE!! I KNOW YOUR PAST!! I KNOW YOUR PRESENT!! I KNOW YOUR FUTURE!! YOU MUST CHOOSE A MEERKAT TO LEAD YOU!! IT IS YOUR ONLY CHANCE OF SURVIVAL!!

    ReplyDelete

If you do any mean comments, you can expect a "magician", to throw some fire into your home.