.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Chapter 35: Another Loner

Ash sniffed at the ground. Tiggerkat's scent was not there. He looked up, and saw Ember trotting ahead, leading them. How does he know where she went? Her scent isn't here, Ash thought, walking to keep up with the group.
Ember sniffed at the ground, then looked around. "This way," he ordered. He trotted ahead, and Twig ran to catch up. She sped to his side, and glared at him.
"You know, for a former Firebender, you seem awfully untrustworthy," Twig remarked.
"Nonsense, I'm not here to harm," Ember claimed, "Besides, I'm sure The Bending Tower needs all the help it can get."
"What?" Twig growled, "How do you know we're from The Bending Tower?"
"Scent," Ember replied, and he hopped to the top of a rock. "All of you have that scent. You're from The Bending Tower, it's obvious."
Akumu raised an eyebrow, "What do you know about The Bending Tower?"
"It's huge. You got a winged leader, apparently named Goldwing," Ember looked at Ash, "And apparently, all of your apprentices are 'worthless'."
Ash perked his ears. What does he mean by "worthless"?
Dust growled, "Come down and say that to my face, Firebender!"
"Now, I didn't say I agreed on it. That's what all the Firebenders at the Fire Nation call you: worthless, weak, pain in the tail..." Ember said. Ash turned to Twig, who had unsheathed her claws and dug them into the earth. "That's what every Firebender says. Well, except for those forced to join, they're the silent ones."
"I take it you weren't a silent one," Rusty raised an eyebrow, apparently acknowledging how much Ember was talking.
Ember smiled, "No, I wasn't... But asking a lot of questions can get you information."
"And, it can kill you if you get on one's nerves," Stone growled.
Ember jumped down from the rock. "Almost forgot... There's someone I want you to meet. She's another loner, good friend of mine. She's searching for a home... I think she'd like The Bending Tower."
"Well, we're not exactly fond to taking in--" Stone began.
A black she-wolf stepped through the bushes. "Ember? Who do you have here?"
Ember smiled, "Hello, Moonlight. These are some friends I'm helping."
"Not friends," Twig grumbled.
"Why are you helping them?" Moonlight asked, ignoring Twig.
"Against our will, may I add," Akumu snorted.
"They needed help finding a tiger."
Ash nodded, "Tiggerkat, that's her name. She got lost. And we're grateful for Ember's help."
Twig glared at Ash, "Not all of us."
Moonlight smiled at Ash. "Thank you, Ember loves to help out. Anyway, I did happen to see a two-legged tiger walk by. Ember, you look hungry... Why not go hunting? I'll help these animals out from here."
Ember nodded, "Thanks, Moonlight. I didn't have a mid-day meal yet." With that, the fox hopped away.
Moonlight turned to the group. "C'mon, guys, I can show you where she went, I was up in a tree when I saw her."
"Do all of you loners live in trees?" Twig demanded.
"Well, just us, I don't know about others. We live in trees to keep away from any Firebenders, they might want us for information," Moonlight shrugged.
"Why would there be Firebenders in our territory?" Rusty demanded, "We patrol!"
"Yeah, and don't Firebenders live far away?" Stone snorted.
Moonlight shook her head. "Listen, you may have beat them at the Water Tribe, but from what I know, they want revenge."

Author's Note:
Thanks to Mimi for Moonlight! :3 Firebenders wanting revenge is NOT good... D:

13 comments:

If you do any mean comments, you can expect a "magician", to throw some fire into your home.